To join the Michigan Pops Orchestra, you will need to sign up for an audition. Auditions are held at the beginning of the fall term and a smaller round of auditions is held at the beginning of the winter term. Fill out this form if you would like to be put on our email list and to receive updates on auditions and other Pops news! Please also note that we do not provide instruments on a rental basis for our members. Each individual member is responsible for providing their own instrument throughout the concert season.
Audition dates for the fall will be September 6th & 8th for returning members and September 13th - 16th for new members.
Find more information on joining the Michigan Pops Orchestra at our Mass Meeting, happening September 11 at 7pm in the Michigan Room of the League. This will be an opportunity to meet current members, learn about auditions and the upcoming season, and ask any questions you may have - See you then!
- Two excerpts of contrasting styles and tempo (up to 2 minutes each).
- New Members: One scale of your choice.
- Returning Members: A scale of your choice & chromatic.
- Instruments that can audition: flute, piccolo, oboe, english horn, clarinet, bass clarinet, bassoon, french horn, trumpet, trombone, tuba, percussion, harp, piano, violin, viola, cello, bass.
- Percussion: Percussionists wishing to audition should prepare one short excerpt for each of the following: snare, cymbals, mallets, and timpani.
Why You Should Join!
- Pops is a community of musicians with diverse interests, all connected by our love of playing music.
- Be a part of the most fun concerts on campus! Check out past concerts in the archives section.
- Participate in publicity and outreach events around campus and the Ann Arbor community.
- There are opportunities to join a small ensemble.
- Feel the Pops Love, we're one big family!